Skip to main content

The Great Fish- Maha Matsya




The Great Fish- Maha Matsya


Swimming through swiftly, 

the great fish moves quickly 

from this bank to the other

enjoying the splash of water.


Pretends to be Indian on the Eastern bank,

immerses in the deep traditional tank,

enjoys royal pellets and fresh pearls,

attends family gatherings and weddings. 


Ready to swim across the Atlantic, 

to mingle with materialistic gigantic.

Fish is neither Indian nor American! 

It is neither Eastern nor Western!


It travels all over the ocean

It transcends all three states

Neither identifies with sleep, nor with dream.

Understands waking state is also a dream!


Not being affected by the waves of desire,

Not being swayed by the currents of fear,

Illuminates the universal waterbody, 

Silently witnesses cosmic mind flow.


Free of bondage, fish is floating away,

It is the beginning of an endless journey!

I am that fish, nameless and formless!

I am that fish, birthless and deathless!  


I am that fish neither small nor big

I am that fish that grows and grows

I am that fish who knows the truth,

I am immanent and transcendent!




Brihadaranyaka Upanishad  - Verse 4.3.18:

तद्यथा महामत्स्य उभे कूलेऽनुसंचरति पूर्वं चापरं च, एवमेवायं पुरुष एतावुभावन्तावनुसंचरति स्वप्नान्तं च बुद्धान्तं च ॥ १८ ॥

tadyathā mahāmatsya ubhe kūle'nusaṃcarati pūrvaṃ cāparaṃ ca, evamevāyaṃ puruṣa etāvubhāvantāvanusaṃcarati svapnāntaṃ ca buddhāntaṃ ca || 18 |

As a great fish swims alternately to both the banks (of a river), eastern and western, so does this infinite being move to both these states, the dream and waking states.

As in the world a great fish that moves freely, never being swayed by the river-currents, but rather stemming them, swims alternately to both the banks of a river, eastern and western. While swimming between them, fish is not overpowered by the intervening current of water, so does this infinite being move to both the states of dream and waking . The point of this illustration is that the body and organs, which are forms of death, together with their stimulating causes, desire and work, are the attributes of the non-self, and that the self is distinct from them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just Be ( Summa Iru)

Just Be (Summa Iru)  As I sat in the weekly satsangs on Ramana Maharshi, Bhagavan’s question echoed within me: “When are you coming to Tiruvannamalai?” That question did not remain a question for long. It ripened itself. The long vigil of Maha Shivaratri, chanting the Ramana Tamil parayanam and the 26th chapter of the Ribhu Gita, deepened the saṅkalpa into something steady and irreversible. After a week-long Vedanta camp in Rishikesh, the journey unfolded almost on its own. Flights were booked. A car was arranged from Chennai. For the first time, plans were made not for the world or family, but for the Self. And in that sincerity, something remarkable happened: the universe did not resist. No one in the family objected. It was as if life itself stepped aside. Despite war and unrest disrupting travel across the world, when asked, “Are you still going?” the response arose effortlessly: “If it has to happen, it will.” In the bustle of Rishikesh, the mind wandered through sense objects...

Exit from Abhimanyu Syndrome

Exit from Abhimanyu Syndrome Should I sleep away from the drama of the world, Or awaken to the stillness in which it appears? Should I wake up from the dream of the waking state, where name and form parade as truth? Or accept them as they are? Should I stop attempting to rewrite the script of life? Or engage in the scenes of the play with a playful attitude? Should I stop projecting a personal movie, Or recognize that I am the light that makes all images possible? Should I reject the world as a mere phenomenon? Or release identification with body and mind? Should I rest in the wisdom of internal calmness ? Should I be that mystical Swan  meandering gracefully in the water  abiding in self right now? If not I, Who will see this? If not now, When will this seeing occur? Who am I is the question of Viveka What am I up to is the question of Vairagya When there is nowhere to go, and nothing to attain, I dwell in these questions, not seeking answers, for the questions themselves are...

Discharge Summary - from the ward of Ignorance

Patient Name: Jijñāsu Admission Diagnosis: Samsara (chronic cyclical identification with nāma–rūpa–karma) Hospital Course: Prolonged, recurrent, self-perpetuating Final Status: Free — here and now DISPOSITION: Discharged to Self. FOLLOW-UP: None. PATIENT INSTRUCTIONS: Oh dear patient, Take food as medicine. Hunger, like an illness, arrives, lingers, and leaves. Eat in measure, not too much, not too little, not for delight, not for the tongue’s applause, but for full nourishment. Do not trouble yourself over which antibiotic is prescribed amoxicillin or azithromycin. Leave that to the Doctor who treats you. And leave to nature what arrives on your plate, poha or oatmeal, receive it, and take only what is needed. Oh dear  Jijñāsu  , If there is no sepsis, no cancer, no trembling heart in crisis, you do not seek a hospital bed. In the same way, if there is no desire for lineage, wealth, or fleeting fame, why admit yourself into samsara? Step out of name, out of form, out of t...