Skip to main content

Śama – Mastery of Mind - True wealth - Navarathri Day - 4


Śama – Mastery of Mind 

True Wealth


What is true wealth?

Is it a fat bank account?

A vast house that holds a pool?

A backyard bursting with fruit trees? 

Or A chest of gold and diamonds?


True wealth is a calm, quiet, and free mind.


The mind is a restless machine,

producing sparks of thought,

igniting bonfires of activity,

buzzing like a disturbed honeycomb. 


Śama is mastery of the mind:

Douse the fire with meditation.

Meditation is the cool rain

that quenches the blaze.


The mind is a tape recorder:

receiving, labeling, replaying—

with endless commentary.

Meditation silences the playback.


Renounce what disturbs peace.

Renounce the fruit of action.

Be absorbed in the work itself—

without distraction.


No racing thoughts.

No scattered multitasking.

No restless hyperactivity.

Just silence.


A calm mind flows in one thought,

again and again—

sajātīya vṛtti pravāha,

the steady stream of sameness.

This is meditation.


And when even that thought falls away,

awareness alone remains—

the Self shining by itself.

This is nididhyāsana.


Know the difference:

Thinking is not awareness.

Awareness is not thinking.


Thinking belongs to the mind.

Awareness belongs to the Self.

When awareness shines,

thinking fades.


Let the opaque screen of thought disperse.

Let the clouds drift away.

Let the sun of Self reveal itself.


Śama is inner wealth.

Creative intelligence is wealth.

Love, joy, and peace are wealth.

A calm, quiet, free mind is ultimate wealth.


Established in the Self,

I rest with Self.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just Be ( Summa Iru)

Just Be (Summa Iru)  As I sat in the weekly satsangs on Ramana Maharshi, Bhagavan’s question echoed within me: “When are you coming to Tiruvannamalai?” That question did not remain a question for long. It ripened itself. The long vigil of Maha Shivaratri, chanting the Ramana Tamil parayanam and the 26th chapter of the Ribhu Gita, deepened the saṅkalpa into something steady and irreversible. After a week-long Vedanta camp in Rishikesh, the journey unfolded almost on its own. Flights were booked. A car was arranged from Chennai. For the first time, plans were made not for the world or family, but for the Self. And in that sincerity, something remarkable happened: the universe did not resist. No one in the family objected. It was as if life itself stepped aside. Despite war and unrest disrupting travel across the world, when asked, “Are you still going?” the response arose effortlessly: “If it has to happen, it will.” In the bustle of Rishikesh, the mind wandered through sense objects...

Exit from Abhimanyu Syndrome

Exit from Abhimanyu Syndrome Should I sleep away from the drama of the world, Or awaken to the stillness in which it appears? Should I wake up from the dream of the waking state, where name and form parade as truth? Or accept them as they are? Should I stop attempting to rewrite the script of life? Or engage in the scenes of the play with a playful attitude? Should I stop projecting a personal movie, Or recognize that I am the light that makes all images possible? Should I reject the world as a mere phenomenon? Or release identification with body and mind? Should I rest in the wisdom of internal calmness ? Should I be that mystical Swan  meandering gracefully in the water  abiding in self right now? If not I, Who will see this? If not now, When will this seeing occur? Who am I is the question of Viveka What am I up to is the question of Vairagya When there is nowhere to go, and nothing to attain, I dwell in these questions, not seeking answers, for the questions themselves are...

Discharge Summary - from the ward of Ignorance

Patient Name: Jijñāsu Admission Diagnosis: Samsara (chronic cyclical identification with nāma–rūpa–karma) Hospital Course: Prolonged, recurrent, self-perpetuating Final Status: Free — here and now DISPOSITION: Discharged to Self. FOLLOW-UP: None. PATIENT INSTRUCTIONS: Oh dear patient, Take food as medicine. Hunger, like an illness, arrives, lingers, and leaves. Eat in measure, not too much, not too little, not for delight, not for the tongue’s applause, but for full nourishment. Do not trouble yourself over which antibiotic is prescribed amoxicillin or azithromycin. Leave that to the Doctor who treats you. And leave to nature what arrives on your plate, poha or oatmeal, receive it, and take only what is needed. Oh dear  Jijñāsu  , If there is no sepsis, no cancer, no trembling heart in crisis, you do not seek a hospital bed. In the same way, if there is no desire for lineage, wealth, or fleeting fame, why admit yourself into samsara? Step out of name, out of form, out of t...