Skip to main content

Four questions for the truth of Self


Four questions for the truth of Self 


I open the doors to the truth of Self.
It is a two-step process:
First — to look within (Antarmukha),
Then — to inquire, to explore the Self.

I sit and close my eyes.
I allow the mind to be silent.
Now, I encounter the body —
this structure occupying space.

I see the body’s limitation:
It is bound by space.
I see another limitation:
It is held within birth and death.

I ask — without seeking answers.
For the question itself has value;
Answers arise from memory,
and memory is conditioned.

As I am aware of the body’s limitations,
am I not free from them?
Unless I am free from space,
how could I understand its boundaries?

As I understand the limitations of space, 
Am I not spaceless?

Unless I am free from birth and death,
how could I know their confines?

As I understand the limitations of birth  and death,
Am I not free from them?

Now, I encounter the mind.
Mind is thought.
Mind is movement.
Mind is time.
Mind lives within opposites —
pleasure and pain.

Mind is memory — the past,
mind is imagination — the future.
Mind is time.
And time is limitation

As I understand the limitation of time,
Am I not timeless?

The mind oscillates —
between pleasure and pain.
This is the fundamental rhythm of life.
The mind seeks pleasure,
yet lands in pain.

I do not make this a concept.
I simply observe — moment to moment,
hour to hour, day to day —
the swing of pleasure and pain.

As I understand the limitations of pleasure and pain
Am I not free from them?

These four questions,
I mull over— not for answers,
but for discovery 
of the truth of the Self.


Based on Swami Tattvavidananda meditation - Aitereya Upanishad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just Be ( Summa Iru)

Just Be (Summa Iru)  As I sat in the weekly satsangs on Ramana Maharshi, Bhagavan’s question echoed within me: “When are you coming to Tiruvannamalai?” That question did not remain a question for long. It ripened itself. The long vigil of Maha Shivaratri, chanting the Ramana Tamil parayanam and the 26th chapter of the Ribhu Gita, deepened the saṅkalpa into something steady and irreversible. After a week-long Vedanta camp in Rishikesh, the journey unfolded almost on its own. Flights were booked. A car was arranged from Chennai. For the first time, plans were made not for the world or family, but for the Self. And in that sincerity, something remarkable happened: the universe did not resist. No one in the family objected. It was as if life itself stepped aside. Despite war and unrest disrupting travel across the world, when asked, “Are you still going?” the response arose effortlessly: “If it has to happen, it will.” In the bustle of Rishikesh, the mind wandered through sense objects...

Exit from Abhimanyu Syndrome

Exit from Abhimanyu Syndrome Should I sleep away from the drama of the world, Or awaken to the stillness in which it appears? Should I wake up from the dream of the waking state, where name and form parade as truth? Or accept them as they are? Should I stop attempting to rewrite the script of life? Or engage in the scenes of the play with a playful attitude? Should I stop projecting a personal movie, Or recognize that I am the light that makes all images possible? Should I reject the world as a mere phenomenon? Or release identification with body and mind? Should I rest in the wisdom of internal calmness ? Should I be that mystical Swan  meandering gracefully in the water  abiding in self right now? If not I, Who will see this? If not now, When will this seeing occur? Who am I is the question of Viveka What am I up to is the question of Vairagya When there is nowhere to go, and nothing to attain, I dwell in these questions, not seeking answers, for the questions themselves are...

Discharge Summary - from the ward of Ignorance

Patient Name: Jijñāsu Admission Diagnosis: Samsara (chronic cyclical identification with nāma–rūpa–karma) Hospital Course: Prolonged, recurrent, self-perpetuating Final Status: Free — here and now DISPOSITION: Discharged to Self. FOLLOW-UP: None. PATIENT INSTRUCTIONS: Oh dear patient, Take food as medicine. Hunger, like an illness, arrives, lingers, and leaves. Eat in measure, not too much, not too little, not for delight, not for the tongue’s applause, but for full nourishment. Do not trouble yourself over which antibiotic is prescribed amoxicillin or azithromycin. Leave that to the Doctor who treats you. And leave to nature what arrives on your plate, poha or oatmeal, receive it, and take only what is needed. Oh dear  Jijñāsu  , If there is no sepsis, no cancer, no trembling heart in crisis, you do not seek a hospital bed. In the same way, if there is no desire for lineage, wealth, or fleeting fame, why admit yourself into samsara? Step out of name, out of form, out of t...