Skip to main content

Shivam

 

Shivam

Shivam is the stillness of the inner mind,
Shivam is the movement of the outer world.

Shivam expresses through the five elements:
as vast space that holds all things,
as air that dances as life,
as fire that hungers and shines,
as water that journeys,
as earth that steadies.

Shivam sings as the sentient pulse
in birds that stitch dawn with songs,
in frogs that bead the night with rhythm,
in creatures that wander by sun and by moon,
in humans crowned with imagined thrones.

Shivam rests as insentient rock
Shivam is pure existence, Sat.
Shivam shines as cosmic intelligence, Chit.
Shivam is absolute happiness, Ananda.
Shivam is the single undivided mass of awareness.

Immanent in all,
yet transcending all.

Shivam cannot be seen or grasped.
Shivam cannot be known by inference.
Shivam cannot be enveloped by thought.
Shivam cannot be communicated.
Shivam cannot be described.

Only when the movement of mind falls silent,
in the depth of inner stillness,
does Shivam reveal itself.

Shivam is the 'I',
The truth that manifests as 'aham',
The intelligence that writes, speaks and exists,
The happiness that is eternal,
Shivam is the all encompassing auspiciousness!

When Shivam is known,
the universe resolves into that knowing,
and that knowing shines
as its own self-luminous light.


Poem sprung during meditation at Ramana Satsang 

Inspired by the word Shivam in Mandukya Upnaiṣad Mantra 7

नान्तःप्रज्ञं न बहिष्प्रज्ञं नोभयतःप्रज्ञं न प्रज्ञानघनं
न प्रज्ञं नाप्रज्ञम् । अदृष्टमव्यवहार्यमग्राह्यमलक्षणं
अचिन्त्यमव्यपदेश्यमेकात्मप्रत्ययसारं प्रपञ्चोपशमं
शान्तं शिवम् अद्वैतं चतुर्थं मन्यन्ते स आत्मा स विज्ञेयः



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just Be ( Summa Iru)

Just Be (Summa Iru)  As I sat in the weekly satsangs on Ramana Maharshi, Bhagavan’s question echoed within me: “When are you coming to Tiruvannamalai?” That question did not remain a question for long. It ripened itself. The long vigil of Maha Shivaratri, chanting the Ramana Tamil parayanam and the 26th chapter of the Ribhu Gita, deepened the saṅkalpa into something steady and irreversible. After a week-long Vedanta camp in Rishikesh, the journey unfolded almost on its own. Flights were booked. A car was arranged from Chennai. For the first time, plans were made not for the world or family, but for the Self. And in that sincerity, something remarkable happened: the universe did not resist. No one in the family objected. It was as if life itself stepped aside. Despite war and unrest disrupting travel across the world, when asked, “Are you still going?” the response arose effortlessly: “If it has to happen, it will.” In the bustle of Rishikesh, the mind wandered through sense objects...

Exit from Abhimanyu Syndrome

Exit from Abhimanyu Syndrome Should I sleep away from the drama of the world, Or awaken to the stillness in which it appears? Should I wake up from the dream of the waking state, where name and form parade as truth? Or accept them as they are? Should I stop attempting to rewrite the script of life? Or engage in the scenes of the play with a playful attitude? Should I stop projecting a personal movie, Or recognize that I am the light that makes all images possible? Should I reject the world as a mere phenomenon? Or release identification with body and mind? Should I rest in the wisdom of internal calmness ? Should I be that mystical Swan  meandering gracefully in the water  abiding in self right now? If not I, Who will see this? If not now, When will this seeing occur? Who am I is the question of Viveka What am I up to is the question of Vairagya When there is nowhere to go, and nothing to attain, I dwell in these questions, not seeking answers, for the questions themselves are...

Discharge Summary - from the ward of Ignorance

Patient Name: Jijñāsu Admission Diagnosis: Samsara (chronic cyclical identification with nāma–rūpa–karma) Hospital Course: Prolonged, recurrent, self-perpetuating Final Status: Free — here and now DISPOSITION: Discharged to Self. FOLLOW-UP: None. PATIENT INSTRUCTIONS: Oh dear patient, Take food as medicine. Hunger, like an illness, arrives, lingers, and leaves. Eat in measure, not too much, not too little, not for delight, not for the tongue’s applause, but for full nourishment. Do not trouble yourself over which antibiotic is prescribed amoxicillin or azithromycin. Leave that to the Doctor who treats you. And leave to nature what arrives on your plate, poha or oatmeal, receive it, and take only what is needed. Oh dear  Jijñāsu  , If there is no sepsis, no cancer, no trembling heart in crisis, you do not seek a hospital bed. In the same way, if there is no desire for lineage, wealth, or fleeting fame, why admit yourself into samsara? Step out of name, out of form, out of t...