Skip to main content

'I' in the city that never sleeps

Nine poem garland for Swamini Svatmavidyanandaji for Navratri.


7. 'I' in the city that never sleeps



 

The city with nine gates goes to sleep 

Closed eyes forget to weep 

Open ears ignore the beep

Senses rest after prolonged sweep

 

Nostrils no longer know to smell

Tongue no longer dwells in taste 

Breathing continues to happen

Digestion continues to happen 

 

Prana never stops moving 

Body learns to stop moving  

Mind is still wandering here and there

Memory is recollecting far and near

 

Things that are seen are combined

Desires and fears are combined

Forms and stories are described 

Comic dreams are transcribed 

 

The four stages of NREM blear                             

The REM stage where dreams appear

The alpha, the beta and the delta wave

The Rishis know them while in the cave

 

There is no dream without sleep

Dream slowly ends in deep sleep

The mind follows and goes to sleep

The city where I live goes to sleep

 

I in the city that never sleeps 

I in the city that never dreams 

I in the city that witnesses the sleep 

I in the city that witnesses the dream 

 

(Swamini Svatmavidyananda Class on Chandogya Upanishad Chapter 6 Sep 12 2021)  Chandogya six 34

 

Comments

  1. This is a great poem. One of my favorites, although it is hard to choose. Om and love - Swaminiji

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just Be ( Summa Iru)

Just Be (Summa Iru)  As I sat in the weekly satsangs on Ramana Maharshi, Bhagavan’s question echoed within me: “When are you coming to Tiruvannamalai?” That question did not remain a question for long. It ripened itself. The long vigil of Maha Shivaratri, chanting the Ramana Tamil parayanam and the 26th chapter of the Ribhu Gita, deepened the saṅkalpa into something steady and irreversible. After a week-long Vedanta camp in Rishikesh, the journey unfolded almost on its own. Flights were booked. A car was arranged from Chennai. For the first time, plans were made not for the world or family, but for the Self. And in that sincerity, something remarkable happened: the universe did not resist. No one in the family objected. It was as if life itself stepped aside. Despite war and unrest disrupting travel across the world, when asked, “Are you still going?” the response arose effortlessly: “If it has to happen, it will.” In the bustle of Rishikesh, the mind wandered through sense objects...

Exit from Abhimanyu Syndrome

Exit from Abhimanyu Syndrome Should I sleep away from the drama of the world, Or awaken to the stillness in which it appears? Should I wake up from the dream of the waking state, where name and form parade as truth? Or accept them as they are? Should I stop attempting to rewrite the script of life? Or engage in the scenes of the play with a playful attitude? Should I stop projecting a personal movie, Or recognize that I am the light that makes all images possible? Should I reject the world as a mere phenomenon? Or release identification with body and mind? Should I rest in the wisdom of internal calmness ? Should I be that mystical Swan  meandering gracefully in the water  abiding in self right now? If not I, Who will see this? If not now, When will this seeing occur? Who am I is the question of Viveka What am I up to is the question of Vairagya When there is nowhere to go, and nothing to attain, I dwell in these questions, not seeking answers, for the questions themselves are...

Discharge Summary - from the ward of Ignorance

Patient Name: Jijñāsu Admission Diagnosis: Samsara (chronic cyclical identification with nāma–rūpa–karma) Hospital Course: Prolonged, recurrent, self-perpetuating Final Status: Free — here and now DISPOSITION: Discharged to Self. FOLLOW-UP: None. PATIENT INSTRUCTIONS: Oh dear patient, Take food as medicine. Hunger, like an illness, arrives, lingers, and leaves. Eat in measure, not too much, not too little, not for delight, not for the tongue’s applause, but for full nourishment. Do not trouble yourself over which antibiotic is prescribed amoxicillin or azithromycin. Leave that to the Doctor who treats you. And leave to nature what arrives on your plate, poha or oatmeal, receive it, and take only what is needed. Oh dear  Jijñāsu  , If there is no sepsis, no cancer, no trembling heart in crisis, you do not seek a hospital bed. In the same way, if there is no desire for lineage, wealth, or fleeting fame, why admit yourself into samsara? Step out of name, out of form, out of t...