Skip to main content

All You Can Eat — A Buffet of Silence






All You Can Eat — A Buffet of Silence


In the world’s vast buffet of offerings—

Māyā, Īśvara, ignorance, knowledge,

student, teacher, retreat, reflection—

all are served upon the table of Brahman.

The wise begin with the appetizer

called Meditation:

a taste of silence before the feast of life.


I make an appointment

with my own self for contentment.

I am not running away from life;

I return to myself.


In the marketplace of the

Eternal Whole Foods

an ancient soap is still sold:

Om Namah Śivāya!

It cleans the mind’s inside,

washes the thicket of likes and dislikes,

extinguishes the forest fire of desire,

dissolves the vast ocean of notions.


I sit upright, eyes gently closed.

I externalize the secret invaders,

retain only love and care.

I let go of frozen needs,

allow caregivers simply to be.

I clear the hardened plaque of the heart

with the stent of contemplation.

Now, the flow of life is smooth.


As though I have a life,

as though I am a wife,

as though I bear children,

as though I love and cling,

as though I go to work,

as though I clear the murk.


The richness of inner life

is counted in moments of silence.

I grow in meditation

to be one who needs the least.

I paint the chambers of the heart orange,

strive for the six-pack of the Vedānta gym,

graduate from ritual to mantra,

transcend from form to formless.


Also served in the buffet is kaṣāya,

a thick, viscous, not-so-tasty sludge:

the unconscious with unresolved

pains, tears, and fears.

I activate Soft Sākṣī Mode (SSM),

re-parent the inner children,

witness them dispassionately,

watch them compassionately.


The vegan diet of nididhyāsanam

refuses projection at the individual level,

eliminates ignorance at the collective level,

Īśvarizes the whole universe, near and dear.

It resolves the inner duality with mantra—

for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.


The feast ends with dessert:

the rich pūrṇa of the modak.

The one sweetness manifests as many,

yet emerges as the nourished inner self—

appreciative, compassionate, contented,

non-complaining, non-judgmental,

unattached, unlimited, boundless joy.

The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet of Silence.


I am sat, existence.

I am cit, awareness.

I am ānanda, boundless joy.

Fulfilled, needing nothing more.


Om Namah Śivāya!

Comments

  1. I love your imagery of the “as though” life as your well crafted Vedanta witness with her all her resources rejoins the rich inner life seamlessly at the buffet of the silence… wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lakshmi ji
    With energetic vibes, you dance through life,
    Happy and perceptive, a creative strife.
    Your heart beats with Vedanta's timeless rhyme,
    A seeker of truth, in oneness you find your prime.

    You feast on knowledge, a diet divine,
    Drinking the essence, of Iswara's love sublime.
    In the depths of your soul, a spark ignites,
    Guiding you forward, through life's darkest nights.

    With creativity's brush, you paint your way,
    A masterpiece of life, in every step of the day.
    Your poem weaves magic, a symphony so fine,
    Capturing the essence, of the divine.

    In oneness you find, your peaceful nest,
    A life of harmony, where love finds its rest.
    Lakshmi ji, your words, a reflection so true,
    A Vedantin's heart, shining bright and anew.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just Be ( Summa Iru)

Just Be (Summa Iru)  As I sat in the weekly satsangs on Ramana Maharshi, Bhagavan’s question echoed within me: “When are you coming to Tiruvannamalai?” That question did not remain a question for long. It ripened itself. The long vigil of Maha Shivaratri, chanting the Ramana Tamil parayanam and the 26th chapter of the Ribhu Gita, deepened the saṅkalpa into something steady and irreversible. After a week-long Vedanta camp in Rishikesh, the journey unfolded almost on its own. Flights were booked. A car was arranged from Chennai. For the first time, plans were made not for the world or family, but for the Self. And in that sincerity, something remarkable happened: the universe did not resist. No one in the family objected. It was as if life itself stepped aside. Despite war and unrest disrupting travel across the world, when asked, “Are you still going?” the response arose effortlessly: “If it has to happen, it will.” In the bustle of Rishikesh, the mind wandered through sense objects...

Exit from Abhimanyu Syndrome

Exit from Abhimanyu Syndrome Should I sleep away from the drama of the world, Or awaken to the stillness in which it appears? Should I wake up from the dream of the waking state, where name and form parade as truth? Or accept them as they are? Should I stop attempting to rewrite the script of life? Or engage in the scenes of the play with a playful attitude? Should I stop projecting a personal movie, Or recognize that I am the light that makes all images possible? Should I reject the world as a mere phenomenon? Or release identification with body and mind? Should I rest in the wisdom of internal calmness ? Should I be that mystical Swan  meandering gracefully in the water  abiding in self right now? If not I, Who will see this? If not now, When will this seeing occur? Who am I is the question of Viveka What am I up to is the question of Vairagya When there is nowhere to go, and nothing to attain, I dwell in these questions, not seeking answers, for the questions themselves are...

Discharge Summary - from the ward of Ignorance

Patient Name: Jijñāsu Admission Diagnosis: Samsara (chronic cyclical identification with nāma–rūpa–karma) Hospital Course: Prolonged, recurrent, self-perpetuating Final Status: Free — here and now DISPOSITION: Discharged to Self. FOLLOW-UP: None. PATIENT INSTRUCTIONS: Oh dear patient, Take food as medicine. Hunger, like an illness, arrives, lingers, and leaves. Eat in measure, not too much, not too little, not for delight, not for the tongue’s applause, but for full nourishment. Do not trouble yourself over which antibiotic is prescribed amoxicillin or azithromycin. Leave that to the Doctor who treats you. And leave to nature what arrives on your plate, poha or oatmeal, receive it, and take only what is needed. Oh dear  Jijñāsu  , If there is no sepsis, no cancer, no trembling heart in crisis, you do not seek a hospital bed. In the same way, if there is no desire for lineage, wealth, or fleeting fame, why admit yourself into samsara? Step out of name, out of form, out of t...