Skip to main content

The Saffron Robe



The Saffron Robe 

In the marketplace
of the eternal Whole Foods,
a variety spread is laid out:

Māyā and Īśvara,
ignorance and knowledge,
student and teacher,
retreat and reflection

all arranged
along the aisle of Brahman.

From a riot of colors,
the rajasic mind pauses
at white.

“Ātma-jñāna is for the sannyāsī,”
it hears...

and suddenly,
an ancient saffron robe
appears,
algorithmically placed
in the shopping cart.

Who is the true sannyāsī?

The one who wears the robe?
The one who longs for it?
The one uneasy without it?
A quiet panic stirs ..

and then something deeper listens.

Abidance in knowledge
is for the karma-sannyāsī:

the one who paints
the inner chambers of the heart
in silent saffron,

who renounces
the fruits of action,

who releases
the claim of doership.

I sit upright,
eyes gently closed.

I Īśvarize the universe,
and clear the hardened plaque
of the heart
with the steady stent
of nididhyāsanam.

Now,
the flow of life
is unimpeded.

'As though' I have life,
'As though' I am a wife,
'As though' I work,
'As though' I seek,

I renounce the results of actions,
I release the enjoyer, 
and mid way, 
the doer quietly falls away.

'As though' ignorance dissolves.
and what remains
is simple knowingness.

I am sat—existence.
I am cit—awareness.
I am ānanda—limitless love.

Full.
Unbroken.

The aisle remains
abundant, shimmering, untouched
And I,
 no longer a customer.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just Be ( Summa Iru)

Just Be (Summa Iru)  As I sat in the weekly satsangs on Ramana Maharshi, Bhagavan’s question echoed within me: “When are you coming to Tiruvannamalai?” That question did not remain a question for long. It ripened itself. The long vigil of Maha Shivaratri, chanting the Ramana Tamil parayanam and the 26th chapter of the Ribhu Gita, deepened the saṅkalpa into something steady and irreversible. After a week-long Vedanta camp in Rishikesh, the journey unfolded almost on its own. Flights were booked. A car was arranged from Chennai. For the first time, plans were made not for the world or family, but for the Self. And in that sincerity, something remarkable happened: the universe did not resist. No one in the family objected. It was as if life itself stepped aside. Despite war and unrest disrupting travel across the world, when asked, “Are you still going?” the response arose effortlessly: “If it has to happen, it will.” In the bustle of Rishikesh, the mind wandered through sense objects...

Exit from Abhimanyu Syndrome

Exit from Abhimanyu Syndrome Should I sleep away from the drama of the world, Or awaken to the stillness in which it appears? Should I wake up from the dream of the waking state, where name and form parade as truth? Or accept them as they are? Should I stop attempting to rewrite the script of life? Or engage in the scenes of the play with a playful attitude? Should I stop projecting a personal movie, Or recognize that I am the light that makes all images possible? Should I reject the world as a mere phenomenon? Or release identification with body and mind? Should I rest in the wisdom of internal calmness ? Should I be that mystical Swan  meandering gracefully in the water  abiding in self right now? If not I, Who will see this? If not now, When will this seeing occur? Who am I is the question of Viveka What am I up to is the question of Vairagya When there is nowhere to go, and nothing to attain, I dwell in these questions, not seeking answers, for the questions themselves are...

Discharge Summary - from the ward of Ignorance

Patient Name: Jijñāsu Admission Diagnosis: Samsara (chronic cyclical identification with nāma–rūpa–karma) Hospital Course: Prolonged, recurrent, self-perpetuating Final Status: Free — here and now DISPOSITION: Discharged to Self. FOLLOW-UP: None. PATIENT INSTRUCTIONS: Oh dear patient, Take food as medicine. Hunger, like an illness, arrives, lingers, and leaves. Eat in measure, not too much, not too little, not for delight, not for the tongue’s applause, but for full nourishment. Do not trouble yourself over which antibiotic is prescribed amoxicillin or azithromycin. Leave that to the Doctor who treats you. And leave to nature what arrives on your plate, poha or oatmeal, receive it, and take only what is needed. Oh dear  Jijñāsu  , If there is no sepsis, no cancer, no trembling heart in crisis, you do not seek a hospital bed. In the same way, if there is no desire for lineage, wealth, or fleeting fame, why admit yourself into samsara? Step out of name, out of form, out of t...